For the first in this year’s ‘OctoberFeast Hosts’ series, Victoria McMullen of Vintage Scoops talks about her enthusiasm for local produce, doilies, and alcoholic sorbet.
OctoberFeast programmes out now!
The OctoberFeast programmes are hitting the streets! Look out for copies arriving through Lewes letterboxes along with our favourite hyper-local Viva Lewes, or pick up a copy from one of our many supportive shops and restaurants in Lewes and Brighton. If you can't wait to get your hands on a paper version, the full programme is available to read online here, and smartphone users can also keep in the know by downloading the free OctoberFeast app. For our fifth festival our programme of over sixty events includes 15 pop-up suppers and counting, with more being included as we get closer to the opening week, so keep checking our events page for the latest additions. More from us soon!
OctoberFeast 2014 is our biggest, most diverse festival yet, which is only right because this year we celebrate our fifth birthday! To mark the occasion we have extended our festival dates by a week to make room for even more events, a small selection of which are outlined below. Join us between Sat Sep 20th and Sun Oct 5th 2014, and don’t forget to pick up a copy of our programme, or read it online here, to make sure you don’t miss out.
- As well as our own fifth birthday, this year’s OctoberFeast encorporates Ashurst Organics 20th and Breaky Bottom Vineyard’s 40th year, the latter of which will be celebrated by the likes of TV’s Olly Smith and poet John Agard at Pelham House on Thurs 2nd Oct.
- After last year’s popular debut, the OctoberFeast Street Food FEAST returns to the iconic venue of Harvey’s Back Yard on Sat 27th Sept, giving Lewes the chance to sample global cuisines, washed down with a drop from the Harveys Hop Bar.
- Also returning is the popular Diversity Lewes’ Soup Festival at All Saints on the first Sunday, and The Snowdrop Great Beer Exposition curated by Burning Sky’s maverick brewer Mark Tranter throughout our closing weekend.
- The Hearth pizzeria are playing host to a number of exciting events, from a collaborative ‘beer and pizza night’ with Harveys Brewery to a talk by award-winning food writer Hattie Ellis and a full day of workshops with top baker Dan Lepard.
- Lewes’ very own ‘Community Chef’ Robin van Creveld presents a collection of topical events: from talks on sourcing and eating sustainable meat and fish, to workshops in gluten free baking and Nordic cooking.
- Award-winning charity The Oyster Project host a ‘Soup Kitchen’, providing a free lunch in exchange for donations to the Oyster FoodBank at The Chapel Café.
- The Synergy Theatre present Verrall of the White Hart: a performance and dinner inspired by William Verrall, the eighteenth century landlord widely credited for introducing gourmet French cuisine to Britain.
- Then of course there’s our old faithful Apple Press, a showpiece central to every OctoberFeast that offers the chance to put our garden fruit to good use…
- And it wouldn’t be OctoberFeast without our pop-up suppers: this year we present 15 intimate events hosted by talented home cooks, with the occasional extra popping up on our events page as we get closer to the festival opening.
Find out more about the above and the many other OctoberFeast events in our programme, available to pick up in restaurants and shops throughout Lewes or read online here. Smartphone users can also download the free Lewes OctoberFeast app.
We’re gearing up for another festival celebrating the best of what East Sussex, and Lewes in particular, has to offer by way of food and drink. This means we need you! OctoberFeast 2014 spans more mealtimes than ever before, now with extended dates running from Sat 20th Sep to Sun 5th Oct. Here’s a reminder of what we do…